I love getting the kids in the kitchen and helping out. With this very simple tomato & mozzarella quiche recipe even the little ones can get involved. I think cooking is a great skill that we should be teaching our kids from a young age.
1) You are encouraging them to pay attention to what they eat and the ingredients involved which is a great step towards knowing a little something about nutrition.
2) They will gain confidence in the kitchen which will in turn lead to independence…because who wants their grown children still complaining that you have to make all their snacks?
3) Plus it is a great bonding time!
– Ready made pastry sheet (honestly why not? it’s so much easier than making your own pastry)
– 3 eggs
– 200ml creme fraiche
– 500g tomatoes (I prefer cherry tomatoes but go with what you have)
– 125g mozzarella
– 1 handful of basil
– Pinch of salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Place the pastry (including the paper base) in a circular pie dish.
Prick the base all over with a fork.
If you are using large tomatoes –
Use a knife to put a X on the base of the tomatoes, it doesn’t need to be deep it just needs to pierce the skin.
Using a ladel with holes in it for draining water dip the tomatoes in boiling water, take them out and put them straight into a bowl of cold water. This will peel them!
Then cut in two and remove the seeds. Next cut them into bitesize chunks and place on the pastry base.
If you are using cherry tomatoes you can skip the peeling part if you like! Personally I don’t bother to peel them.
I place the tomatoes directly onto the pastry base.
At this point you can add other veggies if you wish (pepper, mushroom, onion, precooked courgette, feta, spinach)
Slice the mozzarella and layer it on top of the tomatoes.
Add the basil.
Beat the eggs and cream in a separate bowl.
Salt and pepper the mixture.
Pour it gently onto the base and cook for around 40 minutes.
Serve your tomato & mozzarella quiche with a green salad for a deliciously filling yet healthy meal.
Have a look at our other kid-friendly recipes!